Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

My war hero


These are medals that were awarded to my late grandfather for services rendered during WWII.

He never spoke about the war really. All we know is what my grandma told us; that apparently his best friend during that time was shot right next to him and died in his arms during a fierce battle with the Nazis in Egypt.
 World War II WWII Photo Egypt The Pyramids US Military Photos 8x10
The only thing I can ever remember my grandfather say about the war was: "War is not good." I guess this summed up his experiences. This must have been the most difficult time in his life. Because when he returned from Egypt, he arrived in his home town of Alexandra in the Easter Cape (RSA), he discovered that during the time that he was away to fight for his country, both his parents have passed away and his family have moved to a different town. He never received any news. How bad is that? No news? I feel sad just thinking about it.

But he started a new life, a successful one at that. I appreciate his contribution to our country and our family. Well, he's the reason I'm here to tell you the story. 


His memory lives on in our hearts.


May these medals serve as a reminder of the sacrifices made for our sake.


:In loving memory:


No comments:

Post a Comment